Village Tree and Green
Posted on December 23, 2003 by Bette DeVeuve
The Village Tree was a stately elm planted in 1869 on a small village green at the junction of Adamsville and Main Roads. The Central Village Improvement Society (CVIS) initially ringed the tree with a backless wooden bench where residents could sit in the shade and enjoy cool water from the village pump. Later the wooden benches were replaced by bench seats. Note the watering trough for animals to enjoy a cool drink also at the right in the picture. The CVIS added the granite curbing to give a finished edge to the small town green and to protect the stately elm from damage by wagon wheels.