The Powder House, Head of Westport

The powder house was built c. 1812 by a town military brigade called into existence by the War of 1812. It was probably used as a “magazine” rather than a powder house, housing “home guard” stores of shot. Its first site was on the lot where 51 Drift Road now sits. Later it moved behind […]

Continue Reading