Hix Bridge, South Westport
Hix Bridge. Mary Hix ran a ferry at this site connecting the east and west banks of the Noquochoke or East Branch of the Westport River in the early 1700s. Her son, William, built the first bridge here in 1738 and collected tolls. The bridge was purchased by the town in 1871 and the tolls were eliminated. Shipping built at the Head of Westport was floated down the river on high tide, lifted from the water, and maneuvered around the western end of the bridge on rollers. Building on northwest end of Hix Bridge housed the Masonic Temple and Brownell’s General Store.