Friends Meeting House, Central Village
Quaker Meeting House. The original Friends or Quaker Meeting House was built in Central Village in 1716 as an expansion of the Apponogansett Meeting in Dartmouth. The existing building replaced the first Meeting House in 1814. Paul Cuffee, ship builder, merchant, and wealthiest black man of his time in the United States, helped fund the construction. He and his wife are buried behind the Meeting House. Granite steps in front of the existing Meeting House are all that remain of the 1716 building.