Central Village Improvement Society and Village Green
Central Village Improvement Society and the Village Green. The Central Village Improvement Society (CVIS) held its first meeting in February 1906. The goal of the Society was to improve life in Central Village. Abram Joy Potter who owned Potter’s General Store and Alice Macomber a local school teacher guided the Society to its goals. An early project of CVIS was digging a village well with pump and watering trough, and placing a lamp post on a small green at the junction of Adamsville and Main Roads. The initials “CVIS” and “1907” are carved into the stone of the trough which still sits on the small village green. The child at the pump is the daughter of A.J. Potter.