Westport Cotton Manufacturing Company


Westport Factory began in 1812 as the Westport Cotton Manufacturing Company. The original wooden building burned in 1826. A granite structure replaced the wooden building in 1828 with granite cut from a local quarry called the Ledge. Apparatus to control the flow of water to power the mill’s machinery is shown at the right in the picture.