Head of Westport Public Landing
The Public Landing at the Head of Westport was established ca. 1840. The boatyard of Thomas Winslow on the east landing built and repaired ships. The ships were then “floated down the river on the top of casks to Westport Point” where it is thought the ships were rigged and outfitted. The last ship and one of the largest built at the Head was probably the bark, THOMAS WINSLOW, at 136 tons.